Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Art lovers of all ages as well as several East Cooper artists will make their way to Lake City from April 19 – 28 for ArtFields, the largest arts competition of its kind in the Southeast. This 10-day epic Southern artfest will feature a wide variety of art events, including an art competition, workshops, lectures, talks, public art and more. Most events are free, and ticketed experiences are generally priced $5 or $10 per person.
The full calendar may be found at http://www.artfieldssc.org/attendees/events/.
The spotlight will be on 400 pieces of two- and three-dimensional artwork selected from artists in 11 Southeastern states. These original works will be exhibited in more than 40 downtown businesses and other venues during the ten days of ArtFields. Competition artists are vying for $100,000 in total cash prizes. A special twist: attendees vote for their favorite to determine the $25,000 People’s Choice Award, which also factors into the $50,000 Top Prize.
In addition to the art competition, other events scheduled for the 10 days include:
• Artist Lecture with Dr. Leo Twiggs
• Conversation with Jonathan Green and Mary Whyte moderated by Angela Mack
• Artist Talks with Installation Artists of the Carolinas
• Public Art
• Installation Art of the Carolinas created by Jonathan Brilliant, Jarod Charzewski, Jocelyn Châteauvert and Herb Parker
• “Before I Die” Wall allows the public to share their hopes and dreams on a chalkboard in a public space in downtown Lake City
• Mini Cine, a mobile movie theatre set inside a refurbished shipping container playing art documentaries and short films by independent filmmakers
• Community mural led by muralists from North and South Carolina
• Artfields Portrait Contest with local farmers as the subjects is a high-speed, high-stakes paint-off. The best in show will receive $1,000!
• Art workshops (ticketed) in Plein air painting and screen printing
• Screen Printing Café guests will be the curator of their own merchandise.
• Live Painting on The Green
• ArtFields After-Dark: Exquisite Corpse Featuring DJ Rocky Horror (ticketed/age 21 and over) which invites attendees to take part in an interactive art project.
• Special ticket events, including a Farm to Fork Dinner and a Gospel Lunch at The Market
In addition to the officially-sponsored events, ArtFields will also feature concerts and live music — including performances from New Orleans’ own Rebirth Brass Band and musicians from across the Southeast — a farmers’ and artisans’ market and al fresco food options from food trucks.
The genesis of ArtFields is contained within the name and the town’s rich history of cultivating strawberries, beans and other staples of South Carolina’s agriculture. Now, ArtFields is serving as a fertile field for the cultivation of art and culture in one of South Carolina’s oldest communities, thanks to the generosity of local sponsors, including the Patron of the Arts IGA.
For information on sponsorship or participation opportunities, contact ArtFields at 843.374.0180 or email@example.com. For more information on art activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org.