Tuesday, April 30, 2013
The Sewee Association has scheduled two Bulls Island Safari-style tours with Patrick McMillan for Sunday, May 26 to benefit the Loggerhead Sea Turtle Program in Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge.
For tickets, please call 884-7684 or book online at coastalexpeditions.com. No discounts or gift certificates are allowed.
Explore the island with a world-renowned naturalist, Dr. Patrick McMillan, host of “Expeditions with Patrick McMillan!”
This is a special opportunity to tour Bulls Island safari-style, for an incredible day examining the plants and animals of this wildlife refuge. Help the Sewee Association raise funds for the Sea Turtle Program within Cape Romain and join the group on an island adventure.
The cost is $75 per person (includes ferry ride and picnic lunch), and the ferry will depart from Garris Landing at 10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.
The event is sponsored by the Sewee Association and Coastal Expeditions as a fundraiser to help with some of the shortfalls within Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge, specifically for the Loggerhead Sea Turtle Project.
From 2012, here are the staggering numbers:
• 1,675: The number of nests laid in Cape Romain (the second largest since the listing of the species as endangered in 1978)
• 70 percent: Percentage of nests that had to be relocated because of extreme erosion and habitat loss
• 5,126: The number of volunteer hours it took to move, cage, categorize and collect samples from these nests
• 3: The number of paid employees on the project (one full-time biologist and two seasonal technicians)
• 1: The number of paid employees for on the project (1 full-time biologist)
• 0: The amount of money that has been allocated for this project