The Isle of Palms Exchanged Club honored (from left) Laura Devita, John Bushong and Norma Jean Page at its anniversary gala.
Chartered in 1948, the Isle of Palms Exchange Club celebrated 65 years of community service. The club was instrumental in the development of the Isle of Palms and continues to be a pillar of the community. The Exchange Club provided the first means of mosquito control for the island residents, and financed and provided staff for the island’s first fire wagon in 1952, The following year the club was instrumental in organizing a new children’s playground. The club supported the first church on the island, and sponsored construction of an airport along the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today the Exchange Club works in partnership with the city for many activities, including sponsoring teams at the recreation department, running concessions at the Lowcountry Blues Bash and Halloween carnival and hosting the annual Isle of Palms Connector Run/Walk for the Child. The club also is a coordinator of the Beach Sweep for the island, and provides an annual scholarship program for local youth.
At the recent anniversary gala, awards were presented to Norma Jean Page, director of the IOP Recreation Department. She was awarded the Book of Golden Deeds Award, as a dedicated community volunteer. John Bushong was awarded the Exchangite of the Year and Laura Devita was recognized as the Volunteer of the Year from the Exchange Club. Past presidents were also recognized.