Thursday, June 13, 2013
For more than 30 years, Mount Pleasant Waterworks (MPW) has utilized chlorine gas at the Center Street Wastewater Treatment Plant to disinfect the wastewater of Mount Pleasant.
The gas has been critical in eliminating pathogens that can cause cholera, typhoid, dysentery and other diseases. Although a valuable agent against communicable diseases, the gas has been a toxic chemical risk.
Now, the risk is gone.
MPW used up the last of the gas and replaced it with liquid chlorine, similar to bleach, as part of a $27.3 million enhancement project.
“It benefits the community and it’s easier to work with.” said Clay Duffie, general manager. “We’re constantly trying to reduce the use of toxic chemicals and provide a safer work environment for our employees and our residents.”
Chlorine is a poisonous, greenish-yellow gas described as having a choking odor. It is a very corrosive, hazardous chemical.
“MPW had many safety features in place to prevent the leak of chlorine gas. In the 30 years that we used chlorine gas at the Rifle Range Road and Center Street Wastewater Treatment Plants we never experienced an incident,” stated Duffie. The gas was eliminated from the Rifle Range Road Wastewater Treatment Plant in 2010.
Moultrie News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Moultrie News.