Sidewalk comes out of nowhere to stop car

  • Wednesday, August 21, 2013

An officer patrolling Highway 17 noticed a car barreling toward him at a high rate of speed. He flipped on his radar and clocked the vehicle going 90 mph in a 45 mph zone. He made a U-turn and notified officers on the northern end of town to be on the lookout.

Other officers spotted the vehicle and this time clocked him going 100 mph.

The driver was seen turning onto Hamlin Road and was spotted pulling into a driveway. But there was a chain blocking access. Now the driver was pinned between a patrol car and a chain.

The officer exited his patrol car with his gun drawn and ordered the man out of the car.

The officer asked the man why he was traveling so fast, and he stated he had gotten “cut off by a couple of truckers trying to cut me off.”

However there were no trucks in the vicinity of where he was traveling.

He said he was coming from downtown and when asked where he lived, he said Mount Park West.

When asked how much he had to drink the man replied, “Not.”

Then he said, “No, I was the driver tonight.”

The report said the man’s speech was slurred and an odor of alcohol emitted from his breath.

When the officer asked him why he was pulling into another person’s yard, he said he was trying to turn around.

He said, “I saw you guys. I saw you with your light.”

Before beginning field sobriety tests, the officer asked him if he was the designated driver that evening.

He said he was and that he had dropped six people off and continued to deny having had anything to drink. He said he was at a restaurant downtown and “had people he had,” not making sense to the officer.

Moving on to the tests, the officer asked him if he knew his alphabet. Apparently he did because he began to recite it.

The officer had him stop and listen to his instructions, which were to recite the alphabet from D to R.

He almost had it right but added s,t,v and then said, “I went past D of course.”

When asked if he had any physical impairments, he said he had a torn meniscus in his left leg and had surgery six months ago on it.

When asked if he could still walk, he said partially.

So instead of the one legged stand task, the officer pulled out his pen light to check for nystagmus.

He was told to follow the light with his eyes only and during the test he complained to the officer that the officer was shaking the light.

The officer then put the light away and told him to follow his finger. The suspect said that was easier and said, “I am not impaired.”

Again the officer asked him where he had the torn meniscus and the suspect said it was his left leg.

The officer again asked about the surgery and this time the man said it was last year in the fall.

The officer asked him if he was able to walk on that leg and this time he said, “Of course. I am standing here aren’t I?”

At this point he was asked to do the nine-step toe to heel test.

He tried it and could not do it successfully and said, “I am not doing any of these tests.”

So he was arrested for DUI. A plastic cup and three open mini bottles were found in his car upon inventory.

He blew a .17 percent on the Breathalyzer and then asked to be taken to the hospital for his own blood test.

The officers honored that request, but he still went to the jailhouse when they were done.


Police were called to the dock where a boat had been broken into.

A captain who arrived at the boat that morning found an open beer can sitting on the deck and an umbrella. At that point, he noticed rods and reels were missing as well as a GPS.

The owner and the current captain of the boat both suspected the previous captain of taking the items.

The previous captain was the previous owner of all the things missing and he had knowledge of where the hidden key was.

The owner said the previous captain needed some money so he helped him out by buying the rods and reels from him.

Later the suspect and previous captain called the police department asking to speak to the investigator working the case.

He admitted to taking the items off the boat.

He said his former boss agreed to buy them for $10,000 and he had only received $5,000.

He said he took the items back for non-payment.

He told the investigator he should not have taken the items off the boat and agreed that there was a proper way to recover the non-payment. He told the officer he was going to contact his attorney and his former boss to return the items and follow proper procedure for recovering his money.

Name calling

Two men, one 17 and one 59, got into a heated argument in which police had to be called because of a parking disagreement. The victim told police he inherited a house and goes by to check on things once in a while. The neighbors have been parking their car in the driveway of this home without permission and he went to ask them to stop. An argument ensued and the suspect began calling the victim names and harassing him.

Police went to speak with the neighbor and explained to them that the 17-year-old owner of the house did not want them parking there without permission.

The grown man agreed to ask permission whenever he or his friends park next door.

Hands off

A man went kayaking via his private neighborhood boat landing. He left his kayak dolly at the landing while he paddled and came back to find two teenagers messing with his property.

He approached them and told them they were on private property and they should not touch other people’s things. He explained that the boat landing was a private facility and that they could not be there. The female was polite and said “yes sir,” but the male teenager was on the phone and ignored him.

When the pair left, the kayaker found that the tires on his dolly were flat and all of the air had been let out of them. He reported the incident to police after seeing these same two juveniles walking down the street together on another date soon after.

He approached them to inquire about their identities so as to speak to their parents about their behavior. The two teens then began shouting at him and using profanity, according to the police report. The victim told police where the young girl lived and officers intended to make contact with her parents.

And then, boom...

Officers on Coleman Boulevard came upon a car that had driven up on the sidewalk. The driver told police he had two or three beers at his employer’s house and was driving back to his hotel. He said he must have fallen asleep at the wheel. He said he had stopped at a bar on the island, but they were closed so he decided to go on back to his hotel. The officer asked him if the beers impaired his ability to drive and he said, “No. I was coming down the road and then boom.”

The front side passenger wheel was completely off of the car and there was damage to a tree. Because of this he was given field sobriety tests but did not pass all of them successfully and then boom, he was arrested for DUI.

The Police Blotter is intended to be an informative and/or humorous column written from police reports obtained from the Mount Pleasant Police Department. Many of the stories come from the initial incident reports and, occasionally, supplemental reports. Generally, cases have not been adjudicated at the time of publication. See more columns at www.moultrienews.com.

Latest Videos
On Vacation
News from Twitter

Moultrie News

© 2016 Moultrie News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.