Bridge Runner poster design winners announced
Julian Smith, executive director of The Cooper River Bridge Run (CRBR) announced that the winner of the 2014 Cooper River Bridge Run Design Contest is Marcus Terry and the winner of the 2014 Kids Run & Wonderfest Design Contest is the late Peyton Moore. The official designs for the 37th Annual Cooper River Bridge Run and Kids Run & Wonderfest were revealed on Wednesday, Aug. 21 at a private unveiling at Alhambra Hall in Mount Pleasant. All other design entries were auctioned off that night to benefit the Cooper River Bridge Run’s 15 benefitting charities.
“We had approximately 80 incredible design entries this year,” said Smith. “I am so pleased with the designs that were voted and selected by the community and our judges. These designs will be seen everywhere, from T-shirts, brochures, billboards and worldwide.”
2014 CRBR Design Contest Winner, Marcus Terry, is a Charlotte, N.C., native who currently practices architecture with RPA Design. He is married to his wife, Tonya, and has two children, John, 10, and newborn daughter Amelia. Throughout his career he has designed many nursing homes around the Carolina’s and has worked with The Department of Veteran’s Affairs on the design of many VA Living Centers and Veteran’s Homes. Terry enjoys doing graphic design projects as a hobby as well as practicing tennis with his wife. He was inspired to create this design while he was participating in the 2009 Bridge Run. The design portrays a perspective from actually running the bridge, rather than the landscape view of the bridge. Terry added, “When running on the bridge and approaching the pylons, the stay cables seem to stretch past you in all directions creating a fascinating visual pattern that draw your eye straight through the bridge itself, motivating you to power through. The colors selected were meant to reflect the bright and vibrant character of the City of Charleston and its residents who open their arms to us year after year.”
As the CRBR design contest winner, Terry’s design will be featured on the 37th Annual CRBR T-shirts, posters and all distributed promotional and informational materials for the race set for Saturday, April 5, 2014. He also received a $1,000 prize and 100 posters and 24 T-shirts.
This is the second year that the Kids Run & Wonderfest will have an official design. Peyton Moore’s winning design will be featured on T-shirts, posters and all distributed promotional material for the race set for Friday, April 4, 2013.
Smith added, “It is an honor to have Peyton’s artwork for this year’s Kids Run and Wonderfest. His design was a favorite among the community and the judges. This young man touched so many hearts, was such a huge part of the running community and is a true inspiration to us all…so we are dedicating this year’s Kids Run to him.”
Peyton Johnson Moore was born Sept. 10, 2003, in Mount Pleasant, to Jennifer and Noah Moore. He loved sports and being outdoors and was a member of The Mount Pleasant Track Club, the Charleston Running Club, Charleston Runs and USA Track and Field. Peyton ran the Cooper River Bridge Kids Run from 2005 to 2012 and then ran the Cooper River Bridge 10K in 2013. Always wanting to encourage others, he was a supporter of the Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund, and when running, wanted to recognize those who were supporting any event. Even at his young age, he was an inspiration by serving as a running coach for adults in “Couch to 5K” groups, tutored other students, and was the leading scorer on his basketball team this past year. But with all of this involvement in clubs and sports, nothing meant more in the world to Peyton than spending time with his family.
The winners were determined in a two-step process: a “People’s Choice” voting and a private judging. This is the first year that the CRBR incorporated a “People’s Choice” portion where CRBR fans were able to cast their votes on their favorite designs. This counted as 25 percent of the total votes. The remaining 75 percent of the votes were casted at a private judging by local dignitaries, community designers and past Cooper River Bridge Run Design winners.
For more information, visit www.bridgerun.com.