Thursday, October 31, 2013
Mount Pleasant police officers disguised as crime fighting super heroes will treat 800 Belle Hall elementary school children to safety tips and candy as the youngsters prepare to descend upon their neighborhoods on Halloween night.
Team 4 will converge to Belle Hall Elementary School on Halloween Day with decorated police cruisers and trunks will be filled with candy. The children will first visit with a police officer in the gym to learn about important safety tips and later stop by each decorated police cruiser manned by a super hero for candy giveaway.
PFC Eugley offered the following Halloween Safety Tips:
• Children should trick-or-treat during daylight hours.
• Children should never be allowed to go out alone on Halloween.
• Children should never eat any treats until they have been examined.
• All fruit should be cut and closely examined before eating.
• Advise children that they should never enter strangers’ homes.
• Never invite children into your home.
• Children should never accept rides from strangers.
• Children should never take shortcuts through backyards or alleys.
• Set a specific time limit for your children to be out on Halloween night.
• Give wrapped homemade treats only to children you know.
• Instruct children not to stray from their group.
• A responsible adult should escort children while trick-or-treating.
• Adult escorts should carry flashlights.
• Don’t leave your home unattended on Halloween night.
• Keep pets inside your home, or other safe place on Halloween night.
• Parents should know what route their children will be taking.
• All costumes should be made of fireproof material.
•Children should wear proper fitting, comfortable costumes and shoes.
• Props such as toy guns or swords should be made of pliable material.
• Realistic replica firearms should never be used.
• Masks should not be worn if they impair vision.
• Wigs should be fireproof and should not restrict vision.
• Children should always use sidewalks
• Look in all directions before crossing the street.