Monday, March 24, 2014
The Cooper River Bridge Run is set for April 5th, 2014. Knowing where to park, what time roads will close and where to claim lost property all will play a part in helping you have a more memorable experience.
Parking is always a major concern. The only designated parking locations in Mount Pleasant are the Mount Pleasant Towne Centre, Whitesides Elementary School located at 1565 Rifle Range Road and Laing Middle School located at 1560 Mathis Ferry Road. Busses will shuttle participants from these locations to the starting line and then from the finish line back to these locations. Lieutenant Pat Carter states, “Any other parking in Mount Pleasant is at your own risk. You must not block roadways or driveways. Parking on private property is between the property owner and the driver.”
Coleman Blvd. between Chuck Dawley Blvd. and Whilden St. will shut down at 4:30 a.m. which is an hour earlier than in previous years. The roadway between Whilden St. and Houston Northcutt Blvd. will close to traffic at 6:30 a.m. Anyone thinking of using the pedestrian walkway of the Ravenel Bridge needs to be aware that it will be closed at 6:15 a.m. The Ravenel Bridge will close at 7 a.m. in both directions which will cause all traffic on Highway 17 south to be diverted onto Mathis Ferry Rd.
Here are a few more tips to help with the run:
• Only bring the items you need to enjoy the day.
• Carry your items in a clear bag and avoid bulky clothing.
• Strollers are discouraged and will be moved to the rear of the race.
• If you see something, say something. Report suspicious people/activity to a police officer or call 911.
• There is a costume contest but we are encouraging people to refrain from wearing masks.
• Lost property can be claimed at the Bridge Run office on April 7th, 2014. Their contact number is 843-856-1949.
The Mount Pleasant Police Department will be utilizing social media throughout the event to help update participants and citizens. @MountPleasantPD is our Twitter feed and our Facebook page can be found at www.facebook.com/mountpleasantpd. You can also receive push notifications on your smartphone by downloading our application. It is a free download available for iOS and Android devices.