Moratorium on new Charleston bars proposed

  • Thursday, July 31, 2014

Charleston is changing its approach on dealing with late-night crowds in the city's entertainment district. The city is now proposing a moratorium on new bars.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reports (http://bit.ly/1oKlxde ) the city originally proposed prohibiting businesses selling alcohol in the entertainment area from operating between midnight and 6 a.m.

That proposal was the subject of a hearing earlier this month and brought objections from business owners.

Mayor Joe Riley says a moratorium would ban new bars in the downtown area for three years. He says that will give the city time to gather input and develop a fair plan to limit businesses serving alcohol while expanding other kinds of businesses.

The moratorium would have to be approved by city council.

Information from: The Post and Courier, http://www.postandcourier.com

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Latest Videos
On Vacation

On Vacation with the Moultrie News

The Moultrie News went to St. Maarten on vacation with Todd and Michelle Dailey, Rex and Martha Brown, Allen and Gloria Sinkler, Diz and Michele Gaillard, and Jeff and Linda Forslund.

Upcoming Events

Moultrie News

© 2015 Moultrie News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.