Tuesday, August 19, 2014
On the heels of the recent incident at the East Cooper Medical Center in Mount Pleasant in which nine dogs died after being left unattended in a hot car, PETA is asking to place its eye-catching advisories reading, “Warning: Children and Dogs Die in Hot Cars,” in the hospital's parking lots.
The signs remind drivers that dogs and children can die in hot cars within minutes, something that happens all too often when drivers forget that their vulnerable family members have been left in the heat.
Every summer, there are reports of dogs who have experienced agonizing deaths from heatstroke in hot cars, and since 1998, more than 600 children have died from being left in hot cars. Even on a relatively mild 78-degree day, the temperature inside a parked car can soar to well over 100 degrees in just minutes, even with the windows slightly open.
“It's all too common for drivers to lock their dogs in the car, and even running into the store or the office for 'just a minute' can lead to distraction and then tragedy,” said PETA senior vice president Daphna Nachminovitch. “By placing PETA's signs in the parking lot, the East Cooper Medical Center will be helping visitors avoid making a tragic mistake.”
PETA also invites local business owners to email Info@peta.org for a free decal, featuring the same artwork and warning as the parking lot signs, to place in store windows.
For more information, visit www.peta.org.