Friday, August 29, 2014
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Archeologists in South Carolina will look for remaining evidence of a wharf where tens of thousands of slaves first set foot in the United States.
Officials announced last month that a $75 million International African American Museum is planned for the site in Charleston where the wharf once stood.
The Post and Courier of Charleston reports (http://bit.ly/1zJr59y ) that Mayor Joseph P. Riley Jr. says researchers will in the coming weeks begin looking for whatever may remain of Gadsden’s Wharf. He said there may be timbers or other material under layers of fill.
From 1803 to 1807 more than 70,000 enslaved Africans were brought to the wharf at a time when Charleston’s population was only 20,000. The first slaves arrived in Charleston in 1670, the year the Carolina colony was founded.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Moultrie News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Moultrie News.