Summer has arrived and so have concerns regarding golf carts, more people on the road and car break-ins. Below is a series of questions regarding these concerns with Inspector Chip Googe, the Public Information Officer and Accreditation Manager of the Mount Pleasant Police Department.

Q: I’ve heard there have been a lot of car break-ins happening around town lately. Has the police department noticed a spike in break-ins? Does the police department have any advice for how people can avoid being victims of theft?

A: Car break-ins are something we see from time to time around town. Over 85% of car break-ins are to vehicles that are unlocked. We recommend removing all valuables from your car, roll up the windows, and lock the doors. When you remove valuables, make sure you include guns, keys, and key fobs.

Q: Now that summer has rolled around, I’ve noticed a lot more golf carts on the road. What regulations are the most important for golf cart owners to know? 


  • A person operating a golf cart must be at least 16 years of age and have a valid driver’s license.
  • A golf cart may only be operated during daylight hours and must be within 4 miles of the address on the registration certificate.
  • The golf cart must have a registration certificate from the DMV and have liability insurance.
  • During daylight hours a permitted golf cart may operate along a secondary highway or street for which the posted speed limit is 35 mph or less.
  • During daylight hours a permitted golf cart may be operated within 4 miles of a point of ingress and egress to a gated community and only on a secondary highway or street for which the posted speed limit is 35 miles an hour or less.

Q: Between beach-goers, thousands of visitors in town and all of the kids out of school for summer there are lots of people out on the road. Does the police department have any tips or reminders for drivers to remain calm as they travel around town?

A: Try not to take anything that happens on the roadway personally. We do not want to escalate a minor traffic infraction into a road rage incident. Leave early so that you give yourself time for unplanned delays in traffic. If someone is driving recklessly or appears under the influence, call 911 or 843-743-7200 so officers can handle it.