The Charleston Battery drew against the Tampa Bay Rowdies on Saturday.

The Charleston Battery split points with the Tampa Bay Rowdies Saturday night at Al Lang Stadium.

Rowdies captain Sebastian Guenzatti scored his seventh goal of the season in the 39th minute to put Tampa Bay up 1-0. Midfielder Malik Johnson provided the assist on Guenzatti’s goal playing a one-touch pass into the forward who found a yard of space and powered a shot past Kuzminsky.

Ian Svantesson would replace Nicque Daley in the 82nd minute and scored the equalizing goal six minutes later, earning the Battery a late point on the road. The Battery and Jarad van Schaik earned a free kick in the 88th minute which would lead to Svantesson’s goal. Van Schaik’s ball from the subsequent free kick found the head of Arthur Bosua on the right side of the box, his attempt coming back across the middle. Svantesson raised his leg and directed Bosua’s header on target beating McCarthy at the far post.

“Arthur had a mismatch and I just wanted to put myself in a good position,” said Svantesson after the game. “When I saw it come off his head, I got my leg up and made enough contact to score. It’s a good result for the team.”

Battery falls late in Open Cup fourth round

The Charleston Battery exited the U.S. Open Cup in the fourth round following a 3-1 defeat to Major League Soccer side Atlanta United Thursday night. It marks the third consecutive year that the Battery have lost to Atlanta in the Open Cup.

Svantesson opened the scoring in the 20th minute and made Atlanta pay for sloppy play in the back. Goalkeeper Alec Kann dribbled out to the right side of his penalty area looking for an outlet pass to one of his teammates. His pass found its way in the direction of defender Franco Escobar who was immediately pressured by AJ Paterson. Escobar tried to let the ball roll through his legs, but Paterson made a well-timed challenge and won possession. Paterson immediately found Svantesson at the top of the box, and with Kann recovering from his initial pass, Svantesson slipped a shot past the keeper before he was able to recover.

After conceding, Atlanta seemed to flip a switch, controlling the rest of the first half action. Atlanta finished the first half with a majority of possession (74%) and 11 shots. The Battery defense remained organized, led by captain Taylor Mueller. Of the eleven first-half shots for Atlanta, only three were on target.

Former Battery forward Romario Williams would level things for the hosts in the 79th minute. On an Atlanta United corner, Franco Escobar and Miles Robinson attacked a cross sent in by Pity Martinez. Robinson got his head to the ball playing it back towards the middle of the box and the resulting ball found its way in front of goal. Williams was first to it and tapped it past Phil Breno.

Brandon Vazquez would secure the win for Atlanta United scoring two goals in extra time. Vazquez scored his first in the 110th minute after receiving a lofted pass from Justin Meram and beating both Phil Breno and Taylor Mueller to the ball in a moment of miscommunication for the Battery pair. Meram would once again play provider for Vazquez picking out the forward at the far post on a pass in the 120th minute.

The Battery have a day’s rest before playing Saturday night against Eastern Conference leaders, Tampa Bay Rowdies at Al Lang Stadium.