The Mount Pleasant Track Club (MPTC) won their 16th state title this past weekend at Winthrop University in Rock Hill. by beating over 25 teams from across the state. The MPTC won nine of the 12 age groups, scoring a total of 1,383.5 points to the Greenville Jets 531. The Florence Track Club finished third with 397 points. The MPTC crowned 35 state champions and set seven state records.
State Champion Girls
- 8 and under Girls: Savannah Hislop - 1500 (6:04.7)
- 9-10 Girls: Julia Goldman - 800 (2:46.1) and 1500 (5:40.38) SR, Elle Cocco - JAV (22.62m)
- 13-14 Girls: Julia Galbally - 100 (12.16) SR and 200 (25.07), Josie May - 3000 (11:39.3) and Hannah Togami - Pole Vault (3.34m) SR
- 15-16 Girls: Georgia Arnold - 2000 Steeplechase (8:47.9) and Abby Anderson - High Jump (1.55m)
- 17-18 Girls: Grace Hotchkiss - Pole Vault (3.50m) and Emma Albano - Shot (10.83), Discus (37.61) and Hammer (34.47)
State Champion Boys
- 8 and under: Quintin Washington - 100 (15.9), Miles Tonelis - 400 (1:12.6), Shot (5.48m) and Javelin (18.30m), Ryder Kotz - Long Jump (3.10m)
- 9-10: Gabe Hislop - 800 (2:30.80) SR, 1500 (5:04.59) SR and High Jump (1.20m), Alex Corley - Shot (7.73m), Zachary Teachman - Javelin (30.10m)
- 11-12: Jack Butler - 800 (2:33.4)
- 13-14: Brendan Gomez - 3000 (10:03.67), Troy Cocco - Shot (11.07), David Thilen - Discus (36.09m)
- 15-16: Alex Duncan - 1500 (4:49.8) and 2000 Steeplechase (7:28.58), Jacob Ashley - Hammer (26.54m), Caleb Walker - Javelin (54.15m) SR
- 17-18: David Kowalchick - Shot (17.61m) SR and Discus (50.38m) and Luke Pauldine - Javelin (52.36m)
“I am so proud of our team. We’ve had a great season leading up the state meet and the kids really stepped it up. At the very beginning of the season our goal has been to win state. Now we’re ready for the next challenge which is regionals,” said Tami Dennis, MPTC head coach.
Top 12 from state qualified for the USATF Region Meet on July 4-7 also at Winthrop University with SC hosting Georgia and Florida. At regionals the Top 5 qualify for USATF Nationals in Sacramento, Calif. July 22-28.